Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Angel Biscuits


I thought I would share a great biscuit recipe. They aren't really dinner rolls or biscuits but a cross between the two. I thought they were much better after they had cooled and set out for a few hours. when they first came out of the oven they were a bit too soft and tore when I tried to butter. I think next time I would bake just 5 minutes longer and a bit browner.


Angel Biscuits

1 Cup Buttermilk
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 Cup warm water (100-100F)
3 to 3-1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup shortening (I use Crisco)

1. Mix buttermilk and baking soda together. Let sit.

2. Mix yeast, sugar, salt and water together. Let stand until foamy.

3. Combine flour and shortening, cutting it in untill well blended. I use one of these thingy's or you can use a fork or food processor.


Mix in buttermilk mixture and yeast mixture (dough will be wet) rather quickly, then cover loosely with towel and let rise in warm place (not too warm or you will kill the yeast) until about double, took mine about 45 min.

4. Pat out dough to 1/2 inch thickness on heavily floured surface. Cut biscuits with a 2" cutter and place on lightly greased pan or use a parchment. Put them very close together so they will rise higher. Let sit about 20 to 30  minutes. Preheat oven to 400 while you wait.

5. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them. Again, bake until brownish or they will fall apart. They are very moist.

I served mine with eggs and ham but these would be great for Thanksgiving dinner too.

No comments: