Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cute Little Couscous Soup


I found this beautiful, EASY, soup recipe on 101cookbooks.com. I changed it slightly so that I could use ingredients from my local Reams (2 blocks away, how fast is that?) and didn't have to do the extra chopping in the original recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth (the Better Than Bouillon vegetable turned the broth a lovely red color)
  • a couple shakes of the red pepper flakes (less if you don't like spice)
  • 1/2 jar oil packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped (I buy the julienned version so I don't have to chop) (reserve some of the oil from the jar, maybe 2 - 3 Tbs)
  • 3 cups of cauliflower/broccoli blend (if you like more veggies, throw in the whole 16 oz bag)
  • 1 cp couscous (you can add more if you like your soup thick)

Bring the broth to boil, then add red pepper, sun dried tomatoes/oil and veggies. Simmer 5 min (10 if you like your veggies soft). Add couscous and stir. Simmer another 5 to 10 minutes until couscous plumps up. Serve with sliced green onions. (I add my onions during the simmer since I don't like the strong taste raw.) Take off heat and serve immediately or couscous can get overcooked. I serve this with a small salad or crunchy bread.

No comments: