Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thai Tonight


My brother, Anson, Twittered me this afternoon.

@TheMorsel For dinner?
I thought that was so cute. Short and to the point. Since I have a cold and don't feel like making much, I opted for an easy dinner. I've been testing Thai recipes lately and this cute little box caught my attention when I was shopping at Whole Foods on Friday. This doesn't make quite enough for both of us (Fred snow shoed to the top of Tuscarora yesterday and did another long snow shoe today, so he's famished!) but I added a salad to bulk it up tonight.

The instructions call for chicken, shrimp, vegies or tofu plus a 1/2 cup of fresh bean sprouts. I'm going for the tofu and I also added a bit of shredded carrot and some crushed peanuts.
  • Boil 3 cups of water, then soak the noodles for 3 - 5 minutes. (I set my timer for 3 and I wouldn't go longer than that. They were perfect.)
  • Immediately drain and rinse the noodles in cold water to stop them cooking.

  • Heat up a little oil in a frying pan or wok, then add chicken, shrimp, veggies (in my case carrots and sprouts), or tofu. If using chicken, make sure its cut into fairly small pieces. You don't want your veggies overcooking waiting for the chicken to be done. In fact, I wouldn't add the sprouts until all that is cooked.
  • Once that's done, add noodles and the seasoning packet into the pan. If there is no liquid left, add a couple tablespoons of water so the seasoning can absorb into the noodles. Be careful to turn down the heat at this point so things don't start sticking to the pan.
That's it. About 10 minutes total time. You can garnish with some chopped peanuts and a little lime if you like.

No comments: