Monday, March 30, 2009

The Best Veggie Sandwich

Last summer I found this cute little downtown market that makes a fantastic veggie sandwich. It's one of the last non-chain convenience markets I've seen and the ladies who run it are so sweet. The sandwiches are made by Jan and they've coined them the 'Jan-wiches'. (The Neighbors Market is located at 44 N. State St, Salt Lake City, 801-355-8061)

This veggie sandwich is just the right combo of tomatoe, pickle, onion, mayo, mustard and lettuce on a really great wheat bread that has millet or some other crunchy seed that makes it SO, SO enjoyable. They make meat and cheese sandwiches too, but since I had been trying to cut calories and move toward a more vegetarian diet, this was a real find, especially so close to my office.


I wanted to recreate it for Fred, so I gathered up the ingredients as follows:
  • Birdseed bread (Whole Foods 365 brand)
  • Vine ripened tomatoe
  • Red onion sliced VERY thin
  • Green leaf lettuce
  • Dill pickles sliced for sandwiches (flat)
  • Veganaise (non-dairy sandwich spread) or favorite Mayo
  • Yellow Mustard
  • Vegan or regular cheese

You can put this together anyway you'd like but I find that keeping the wet ingredients, like tomato, pickle, mayo and mustard away from the cheese is best.

No comments: