Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Wow, it's been four years already. Thank you, Fred, for all the love, friendship and adventure you've brought into my life!

We celebrated our anniversary in our usual, non-traditional fashion; hiking two hours to see a nice mountain waterfall and then testing out Fred's new avalanche beacon at Snowbird's training grounds. We also stopped to try a new restaurant in Sugar House called O'Falafel Etc.

Fred and I really miss our little neighborhood Pita House back in Chicago. They had great food and low, low prices. I was so happy to see this little place was opening in SLC.

We had an appetizer plate of Baba Ghanouj, Tabbouleh, Falafel and Jerusalem Salad.

Fred chose lamb kabobs.

I tried Yakni Khudra (carrots, zucchini, squash, onions in a tomato based sauce and rice). I was pretty happy with their food, although their entree prices for a counter-order joint, were a little high. Fred's kabobs were $13.95 and my dish was $10. Mazza is even better, at almost the same pricing.

On Sunday, we continued the Middle Eastern theme with hummus and pita. Buying tip: Costco has THE best hummus for 1/2 the price per pound as the brands in the grocery store. This container is 30oz for $4.99 and the consistency is so much better than some grocery store brands that have the texture of wall paste.

I spread the hummus thinly on large plates, drizzled EVOO in the middle, added fresh lemon juice and sprinkled with paprika. The pita bread is best warmed slightly (if you are doing it in the microwave, 10 seconds at a time so you don't turn it into rubber AND leave it in the plastic bag while warming to trap the moisture).

Here's a picture of me after I successfully prodded my first avalanche 'victim' at the training center. Hopefully we never have to experience a real rescue.

No comments: